history of St. Mary’s College, Quezon City is traced back to the
foundation years of the
Congregation which started one of the first exclusive schools for girls
1725. A landmark in Spanish Intramuros, it was known as the Colegio del
The beatas taught not only catechism but also fancy needlework for this
their main source of support. After several years, they started to
Spanish language and the fundamentals of proper home management. The
of social graces followed. Among the more popular subjects of the old
were fancy needlework and music.
Institution became more formally organized through the years. In 1901,
Beaterio held its first general chapter and became a Congregation.
after, in 1912 the school was formally incorporated and the Elementary
was recognized by the government. The Secondary Course was opened and
given recognition shortly after. Domestic Science, now known as Home
was formally offered making the College one of the first private
offer such course. The school received in 1935 the formal government
recognition of Junior Normal College
course. In 1939, the name Colegio del Beaterio was officially changed
Mary’s College in honor of the Blessed Virgin Mary, the Patroness
Congregation. In the same year, the Bachelor of Science in Education
formally recognized by the government. Since then, other college
to be offered.
Mary’s College was the first private school to open its doors
just after the
liberation of Manila
in 1945 in answer to the needs of students who wanted to resume or
studies. Originally established for girls, St. Mary’s College
admitted boys in
the Grade School after the war. Since the building in Intramuros had
reduced to ashes, its site was transferred to the Immaculate Conception
Hall in España, just in front of the University of Santo Tomas.
to 1950, however, it was housed in a rented building at Aragon Street,
Sampaloc. In April 1950,
St. Mary’s College made Quezon City its permanent site undaunted
isolation of the place and the difficulty of transportation then.
course offerings since 1950 included BSE, ETC, Secretarial, Associate
Bachelor of Music, Associate in Music, BSEED and other special courses.
1976, the changing political, socio-economic and cultural climate led
administrators to temporarily suspend the college. There was also a
to concentrate on basic education. In its desire to upgrade the quality
instruction, St. Mary’s College embarked on a self-evaluation
project which led
to a formal application for accreditation through the Philippine
Association for Schools, Colleges and Universities (PAASCU). The High
Department was accredited in 1975 and the Grade School Department in
Subsequent PAASCU visits confirmed the quality education offered by St.
College. In 1997, St. Mary’s College heeded the request of
parents to admit boys
to High School.
With the continuing
improvement in instruction and services, the Board of Trustees thought
time to resume the college. Preparations were done and in 2002, St.
College was given the permit to start offering Bachelor of Science in
Communication Studies. Teacher Education Programs were offered in 2003
the Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 2005. In the same year, the BS
Communication Studies course was given government recognition. In 2006,
Mary’s College received government recognition of its Bachelor of
Education and Bachelor of Secondary Education program followed by the Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 2008. The college also
short courses such as Caregiver, Nursing Assistant Program and English Proficiency. True to
tradition, St. Mary’s College believes firmly that the home is
element in society and the most influential factor in most aspects of
development. The institution is committed to carry on a strong program
religious instruction, communications and social services.